Happy Valentine’s Day

St. Paul said it right in a letter to his friends: “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”

Do you have sweet Valentine memories? Mine include little boxes that my father placed on the dining room table for his three Valentines, who he always remembered on this day. They came from a special gift shop that used to grace downtown Lansing, Lieberman’s. The wrapping was as exquisite as what was inside, with origami hearts and ribbon twirls on glossy white, pink, or red paper.

I actually have a relative named Valentine. He once sang “You are my sunshine” at a party on the lawn at my Uncle Fred’s house and had the whole crowd singing along with him. Uncle Val passed away recently, leaving a great legacy of sunshine.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you. May it be filled with Strawberry Rose Dreams and Valentine cut out cookies with royal icing. And the greatest love, not only for the people in your life, but for yourself.

This entry was posted in Stories and Recipes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Happy Valentine’s Day

1. Paula says:

I just LOVE the way you write.
    You are a true artist with your hands and words.
    Love the pink shade in these hearts…

Thank you so much Paula, that just means the world. Wish I could bring you a plate of these. The pink, by the way, is achieved by using a touch of brown with the pink gel in the icing to give the color depth…

2. Gregory Jarous GA says:

Happy Valentine’s Day, beautiful cookies. Uncle Val has left a hole in all of our hearts. Keep writing.

3. Alberta says:

Happy Valentines to you Maureen. Great story of a wonderful man. Val. Cookies look delicious !!! Xoxo have a great day!!!

4. Stacy Spaniolo says:

Happy V Day Maureen…loved your posting today… little gift boxes from Liebermans! Oh the memories we carry from our time in Lansing… enjoy this day of love and memories… :o ) S

5. Janet Moore says:

What a nice touch. We all miss Val so much, and aptly his name on this day, his birthday, Valentin’s Day. The memories you bring to all who read your blog, are heart warming. I so agree with Paula, you are a true artist.
    Jan

6. Diane Nassir says:

Happy Valentine’s Day Maureen–Thank you for bringing such joy and happiness and beauty to this world!

7. Maureen says:

These are beautiful cookies and I love the way you write.

8. Cindy says:

Did you know I live in the Boettscher (sp?) House? :)