Lemon Meringue Tart, The Most Extraordinary

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Lemon Meringue Tart, The Most Extraordinary”.

This entry was posted in Stories and Recipes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Lemon Meringue Tart, The Most Extraordinary

1. Michael Ganz says:

I’ve read many of your blogs, postcards, stories and recipe’s… This story and recipe by far, for me, is the best. I don’t really know you that well, but one thing I’ve learned, though, is that when you write about anything “sweet” there seems to be a whole different PASSION and intensity in your writing!!

This might suggest that you have a “sugar” and/or “sweet” problem??

I’m sure I don’t have the culinary expertise to attempt this dish, but I can taste your tart here in Chesterton, IN….

Your description and your photos are really well done. I’m sure your readers, like me, appreciate all of your work and effort.

Michael Ganz

Michael, you are right about my passion for pastry and all things sweet, and you are a dear for writing such a thoughtful note. Thank you for joining me here and for all of your kind words too. Oh, and enjoy that lamb this weekend! It’s going to be great.

2. Tlazolteotl says:

Wonderful!

Congratulations, it must be or better said, has been…, delicious.

I’ll save this recipe for the near future :-)
    Tlaz

3. Jane says:

As usual, your post is simply a joy to read and look at — your thoughtful writing is to be savored and your photos are an absolute FEAST for my eyes! Your San Francisco experiences are fascinating, to be sure! Keep up the wonderful work — I’m a big fan, my friend! :-)

4. Greg Patent says:

There’s an old pie dough recipe using Wesson oil that you press into the pan. I’ve made it with melted butter instead and added sugar. Works like a charm for a påte sucrée.

How fascinating Greg–the crust I learned from my mother uses vegetable oil!! And I’ve always loved it. I will try it as a press-in and I will try it with melted butter!!! Thank you thank you, master of all.

5. Diane Nassir (My maternal grandmother was an Abowd) says:

Maureen, I love these comments from others–they relate to your passion, your soul, your artistry, and, the joy you give–Oh, and Sur la Table in SF–the first kitchen store I ever went into, didn’t even know such a place existed. And the lemon tart looks sublime!

6. Sammie says:

What a beautiful lemon meringue tart! I absolutely loved the way you piped the meringue on top! It’s just gorgeous!!!

7. This is the most sensual lemon meringue tart I have seen , ever; just took my mom to a pastry shop here in Beirut at the Bristol Hotel (they have amazing pastries) and the only thing she wanted was their lemon tart; their meringue was piped only on one side, very stylish; yours is just sexy, sorry that is the only way I can describe it. I can just imagine the taste too. Divine!

Now that’s a true compliment–sexy!–especially coming from you Joumana!! I will put the Bristol Hotel on my hit list, too….

8. Tess says:

I am just curious why you assemble the pie crust by cutting it into chunks and pushing it together, rather than rolling out the dough as in a traditional tart or pie. Is there a reason for this?

Hi Tess–pate sucree, or tart dough with sugar (and here, an egg) can be much softer than pate brisee (savory tart dough) and more difficult to roll out. Plus, some people hate to roll out dough, and this is an easy technique for that, and for those times when rolling out dough isn’t an option.

9. Martha says:

Gorgeous. I think I’ll have to make this for the baby shower I’m hosting next week. I might have to ‘practice’ and eat one at home first :)

A perfect shower dessert–tastes wonderful and looks like a dream. And I agree, a practice round is just the right thing to do…. Please let me know how it comes out!!!

10. John says:

David Lebovitz posted a few years ago about a melted butter crust: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/05/french-tart-dough-a-la-francaise/.

It’s great and very easy.

11. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Leaky skies means linkity cries

12. j.kim says:

wow, thank you for this very detailed, entertaining, and inspiring post.
    i am not a baker at heart (it’s too exacting an art, compared to cooking), but occasionally i am tempted by outstanding concoctions like this.
    one request: i am a key lime rather than lemon girl – would you consider expanding on your post by including a modification to make this “The most extraordinart key lime tart”? lastly, any thoughts on modifications if one were to use Meyer lemons?
    janet

Hi there! Thanks for your great comment. Key limes would most likely work well and be just as delicious in place of the lemon in the curd–be sure to use the zest. The Meyer lemon would result in a far less tangy/tart flavor which is one of the delights of this curd, as Meyer lemons are sweeter than they are tart. But that wouldn’t be a bad thing if you’re not really a lemon girl, and you’d probably like it better!! Please let me know if you make a lime or Meyer lemon tart…it’s going to be extraordinary…

13. This looks wonderful! I love citrus, especially in tarts!

14. Beverly says:

Hi Maureen, I came across this post yesterday morning and attempted to replicate your stunning lemon meringue tart for my boyfriend’s birthday (they’re his favourite!). Reading your story and following your baking instructions was such a joy – while this recipe does require quite a bit of attention and waiting time, I had a great time spending the day making it… perhaps because the end result was so rewarding! It was my first time making a lemon meringue tart, and it turned out beautifully. I substituted all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend, so my crust was more delicate and slightly more crumbly when first out of the oven, but was perfect once I had allowed it all to chill and set. Thank you!! x

Beverly, that’s so great! Thank you for letting me know you enjoyed making and eating this tart as much as I do. And a gluten-free crust–that’s fantastic. I’ll keep that in mind to make this for my gluten-free nephew!

15. Angela Harwell says:

This looks insanely delicious! I can’t wait to make it! My sister Kim told me to check out your blog. We are from Lansing, Michigan. However, we have both moved away. She’s in Chicago. I’m in Naples, Fl.
    My grandpa is a Kalush, so we were raised on Lebanese food. It’s hard to find the authentic recipes anymore. Which is why we are so happy to have found your website/blog! Well wishes and thank you!! Ps. Beautiful photography! :)

16. Carlos Sandino says:

Hello, Maureen! I had friends over on Saturday evening. We had falafel and fattoush for dinner. For dessert I took a risk (I’m not a very confident cook) and baked your Lemon Meringue Tart. I couldn’t believe what I was eating had actually been baked by me. Neither could my friends, I think, haha! It was awesome. Every detail included in your recipe helped me deliver the best tart, ever. Small moments like Saturday night’s dessert success make my life so much nicer. Thank you!

How very lovely Carlos–I’m touched to know this and love what you said about how making special dishes makes our lives…so much nicer.