Postcard from Up North, A Moment of Silence

He who learns must suffer;
and even in our sleep
pain that cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
and in our own despair,
against our will,
comes wisdom
by the awful grace of God. ~Aeschylus

(In broken-hearted memoriam. Read by Robert Kennedy, on the assassination of MLK.)

This entry was posted in Picture Postcards and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Postcard from Up North, A Moment of Silence

1. kristin says:

Powerfully profound. This morning, Andrea Fowler passed away into the arms of our Lord. Those words and that picture of a place she loved so much, sure do sum up me feelings this morning. “….and in our own dispair, agains our will, comes wisdom by the awful grace of God.” Yes. Precisely….

xo

2. Tom McGrath says:

Amen and thank you, Maureen. No easy grace in these times.

3. Diane Nassir (My maternal grandmother was an Abowd) says:

Maureen, thank you for this beautiful blessing for our nation’s broken hearts.

Yes thank you, I appreciate that quote a lot also, I don’t remember it from any previous situation.

Especially after last night’s Newtown service with the various religions and the president speaking, this quote beats them all, I believe. Though I don’t understand why it is referred to as “awful” grace, perhaps the saying was given birth after another event that we wouldn’t normally attribute to God. That is “grace” from God I would normally view as positive. ???

You write read by Robert Kennedy after his brother’s murder, but above you mention MLK which would be Rev. King’s death. No matter really but which do you think it was? Aeschylus has quite a write up in Wikipedia, though you know us engineers, never heard of him before.

Always enjoy your daily email postcard.

Thank you Jerry. RFK read this quote, one of his favorites, on MLK’s death, though he began reading Aeschylus when his brother died. I corrected my post when I realized that (courtesy of my sister, a student of all things Kennedy).

5. Marjorie says:

Now I am getting your Blog in my ‘Spam’ folder! That’s OK – keep them coming and I will view them where the land!

I have seen a similar recipes for the chickpeas and will definitely try them this year!

Marjorie