How to make lavender sugar

There’s something so regal, so stand-up-tall about flower sugars, lavender in particular. Purple is of course the most royal of all royal colors. With the new heir to the throne about to come on the scene, I thought of that baby more than once with all of the lavender around here.

It’s not just the purple and the perfectly long and elegant lavender stems that give the sugar so much flair. It’s the sugar itself, powdery or granulated, organic or muscovado or turbinado—it’s all so crystalline, and even though my mind wants to veer toward snowy with it, I refuse to allow that. Instead I think sand, white sands and beaches and the scent of lavender on the farm where Mom and I picked our bunches, and here on the counter as it rests under the kitchen window now.

Why do you want to make lavender sugar? It’s a great way to impart a subtle floral lavender flavor in recipes like the one we’re baking this week (you’ll need a cup or so of both granulated and powdered lavender sugar). Use lavender sugar in teas, sprinkled over fruit, mixed into muffin or cake batter, or pressed into sugar cookies.

Even whip lavender sugar into whipped cream or butter and spoon it onto whatever your heart desires.

To make lavender sugar, use your favorite sugar with fresh or dried culinary lavender; for powdered sugar, dried lavender works best to prevent moisture and clumping. Be sure the lavender is one of the edible lavenda angustifolia, such as Munstead, Hidcote, and Royal Velvet (mine is Munstead). If not, the flavor will be too strong and camphorous and it will not taste good. Dried lavender is much stronger than fresh, so use less, about 1/3 the amount of dried.

Lavender Sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lavender buds (on the stem or off) to 1 cup sugar
or
1 teaspoon dried lavender buds to 1 cup sugar

In a clean glass jar, layer the lavender with the sugar. Close the lid and let the sugar rest for a day before using. The sugar will keep for six months or longer. Shake the jar up now and then to distribute the lavender oils in the sugar.

How fragrant. How pretty. How delicious.

This entry was posted in Techniques and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to How to make lavender sugar

1. Kathy says:

Your photos are wonderful!
    We use our lavender sugar for creme brulee, shortbread cookies, cupcake icing, etc.,and there is always a jar of simple syrup made with lavender in our refrigerator. It’s lovely in lemonade, iced tea, and a French 75, a favorite cocktail around here.

2. Coco says:

I bought a small jar of lavender sugar at the Glen Arbor Farmers’ Market last summer. Now I have some ideas on how to use it!

3. tammy says:

hey mo ;) this sugar is just in time for the lavender i have been harvesting from our gardens ;) so much so insomuch as i am making lavender lemonade for street musique tomorrow ;)

4. Emma says:

Hi this looks lovely. Before I start making my own lavender sugar can I just ask do you wash the fresh lavender before adding it to the sugar? Thanks Emma

Hi Emma, and thanks for that question. I did not wash my lavender because I wanted it bone dry for the sugar. If you’d like to wash it, do that at least one day before making the sugar, and leave the lavender out to dry thoroughly.

5. Andrea says:

I have picked lavender ready to have a go at the flavoured sugar. What I wondered was is it OK to use the purple coloured seed/pod shaped thing that remains after the flower has fallen off? I’ve left it a bit too late! Many thanks for the recipe

6. Raquel says:

Your site is a great find. Getting ready to make lavender sugar for a church fundraiser. Saw some at fancy kitchen store in Charleston… idea was wonderful for fundraiser. Easy too. Thanks!

7. Elynore says:

Nice! Just curious, the jars you used are so cute. Can you let me know where you got them or the size?

Hi Elynore, and thank you! Those jars are just some I’ve collected randomly; when I buy flowers up north, they’re often in these jars in summer. You can get the Ball canning jars all over the place, especially right now during canning season. I also love Weck jars.

8. Bill says:

Your site was a great find for the recipe for lavender sugar which I need for a lavender cheesecake recipe. Our local lavender supplier grows both purple and white lavender and says the white lavender is better for food recipes. Do you use only purple lavender for edible recipes or do you also use white lavender?

Thank you Bill! I’m interested in the white lavender but our local grower doesn’t sell it; I’ve only used the edible varieties of purple lavender. Your cheesecake sounds divine!

9. Carmel says:

I have made the lavender sugar,but it is absolutely rock hard,how do I rescue it,or can I rescue it?

Carmel, did you keep the lavender sugar in an airtight container? That’s important, and also I found granulated sugar works better than powdered sugar for this. You might try heating the sugar on low heat for just a few seconds in the microwave to soften it.

10. Anita Dowdall says:

I’m looking forward to trying out this lavender sugar. Just waiting for my lavender. Haven’t cooked with this before. So it will be a new experience for me.