Favorite Things: A Fondue Set

I have been lusting after a fondue set for years now. I thought when we moved out of Wagon Wheel Lane that my mother’s harvest gold, mid-70s fondue pot would turn up for me to claim as my own, but we never saw it with the big clear-out. I shouldn’t have been as surprised as I was, since my mother never considered herself a “keeper,” with her relentless purging of stuff on a regular basis.

Fine then, I would just have to get a new one. Wouldn’t you know though that when it has come to tossing change and bills at kitchenware, a fondue never reached priority status.

So when I walked into Cutler’s with Dan and I started dancing around their display of fondue sets like a kid in a candy shop, he told me to pick one out and make it a birthday present. Well okay then!

Fondue sets are different depending on what type of fondue you’re making. The steel basin is for broth fondue, the ceramic for cheese or chocolate. I’ll take all three, please, so the fondue I chose has insets for all. Mine is by Swissmar (the name alone sounds so authentic), with a copper coating. Pretty! See them here, here, and here.

Do you have a fondue? It’s Valentine’s week—there isn’t a better time than right now to have at a cozy dipping party for two (or the whole family). It’s great to go fondue-retro, with brand-spanking-new!

This entry was posted in Favorite Things and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Favorite Things: A Fondue Set

1. Andrew Brown says:

So funny to read this, as we JUST used our fondue pot last week for a little gathering… and it was the first time we used it since buying it more than 10 years ago! In fact, we weren’t even sure it was in the house… maybe in the basement, or in storage. And we didn’t even use it for fondue (it was a warming pot for meatballs in a mushroom cream sauce). Now that we know it’s actually accessible, and with inspiration such as yours… we may actually USE it as intended! So, where could those fondue forks be… ?!

2. Diane Nassir (my maternal grandmother was an Abood (Jamileh) from Ammun Leb. says:

Beautiful–copper and stainless and white porcelain-such a happy birthday present from your beloved!

3. Libby Pasztor says:

My husband and I married in 1974 and I’m quite sure we received a fondue set as a shower or wedding gift—I think it was avocado green. . . :p I haven’t seen it in years and suspect it ended up at the thrift shop long ago. THIS one, however, looks like quite a worthy replacement—-it’s gorgeous! And who doesn’t like fondue, after all? We’ll be celebrating our 40th anniversary in October—this would be a lovely thing to pick up at Cutler’s when we’re up there this summer (or on Amazon, if I really can’t wait. . .:-)

4. Lucy says:

Maureen –
    What a lovely birthday gift !
    May your family and friends continue to be blessed with your creativity in the kitchen.
    Much love !

5. Edra Case says:

Ok, Maureen, it’s time to get in the confessional booth. I have about 8-9 fondue pots, mostly electric, that I have collected over the years in all the vintage colors. I have been known to have several fondue parties during the winter months, and the last one was in January, after the big one Christmas Night at the neighbors. I have over 100 forks, and the best cheese recipe that is over 110 years old. I am known as the fondue Queen in this neighborhood and in Northern Nevada. LOL Your birthday gift is simply AWESOME and I love it.

6. Edra Case says:

PS: I need all these pots because I do the OIL where you fry your meats, more oil for tempura items, and pots of cheese and chocolate. That’s why I NEED 9 pots. There’s usually LOTS of people. I love using the potato rosemary bread from Costco, not just plain ole french bread. LOL

7. Edra Case says:

And to take this even further, I have about 25 plates, especially made for fondue that are made in sections. I have bought them at yard sales over the years from people who had no idea what they were. My last set of Williams Sonoma still in the box had never been used, set of four, $1.00. Purchased on the Highway 127 yard sale two years ago.

8. Terri Brantley says:

I married in 1960 & have two fondue sets, a copper and a stainless one. ONe for meat cooked in oil and one for chicken cooked in broth. My kids loved fondue! When I tried it with my grandsons, they could have cared less! I was so dissapointed. perhaps I should try again, now that they are older. I only have four fondue plates, but many forks. Mine are different colors, not numbered.